THIS GOES OUT TO YOU

February 17, 2014 Jaybee 2 Comments


Sitting in front of my most valuable asset for now, looking at the time to realize it’s already an hour to midnight (and another day) punching the keyboard as fast as I can, not looking back to check for omissions, wrong punctuations, typos, blunders and what have you.

It’s the 17th day of February, the one day of the year I rep and the day I can authoritatively claim as my own. Once it’s gone, I’m most definitely waiting another 365 or so days to get it back. Is that how freaking long everybody has to wait for theirs too or am I just being cheated every year?

On my birthday, to you reading this, this goes out to you!

Let me start by saying because it’s my birthday doesn’t mean I’ll have some sugar coated things to say, and take a break for the normal me. No! On the contrary, it’s my birthday so I can say what I want to, how I want to and this is just a spontaneous article right here. Perfect opportunity!
Meaning, I don’t even know the next sentence I’m going to write, I’ll put down the words as they pop out and hope in togetherness, they make sense enough to be readable.

Ever since I was little, I couldn’t always wait for my birthday and seeing my dad being very passive or sometimes like he forgot his own birthday which always was between Christmas and New Year baffled me. I initially thought it was just a nonchalant or Big Don stunt but as I got older, I realized I had the wrong assumption. My dad was always at his reading table, surrounded by writing kits, scribbling away and as a boy it was the least of what I expected. He was supposed to move joyfully all around, take us out to an eatery or park, rip open his gifts and so on. Even his cake (when there is) and wine(constantly available) were not touched until before or after supper. One day curiosity got the best of me and I came to tap a little idea on what exactly he does on his birthday.

And that’s what I’m in a mediocre way doing.

I probably won’t do much justice to this write up since I have just an hour left of my precious 24 but In my 20 something years, I’ve come to the realization that the best time for Self-Evaluation is on that day of the year where you’re almost as popular as Oprah or Obama. And sometimes, you get the access to some parts of yourself that might be inaccessible for the next 12 months. Quickly I’m going to try to tell you what you already know or have heard over and over; so why am I telling you?... Cos they are the easiest things to say, the coolest advice to give but the hardest things to do because they can be the most bitter pill to swallow. In between, I didn’t write any birthday wish list. I made only one wish, and that is: THAT ALL MY HEART DESIRES COME TRUE AND WHOSOEVER IS READING THIS.

So, to YOU reading this;

Never underestimate the power of the love of your family. Those are the first set of people in your life.

Never associate yourself with friends who see nothing good in you. They won’t only kill your dreams, but will also leave you after doing so.

Never look down on anyone or despise days of little beginnings. Miracles happen every second.

Never take vengeance if people hurt you. You not only hurt the victim but degrade your spirit.

Never be too proud to apologize. It might tickle your ego but it can save you a lot of stress and drama.

Never be slow to forgive. It might take more effort, but you might have pushed the person away by the time you are done ‘punishing’ or making up your mind.

Never compare yourself to others. We all have unequal opportunities to become equal.

Never ever believe you can achieve anything alone. Even Jesus Christ chose people to help him.

Never cheat. Be it at work, your friends, or in your relationship. The truth will eventually come out, and believe me when I say you can’t stand the shame by the time it does.

Never be too desperate for anything in life. If it doesn’t work out, say ‘hello’ to depression.

I’m not sure if that was 10 don’ts up there but I know I ruminated on 10 Do’s & Don’ts

Work, pray and have faith. Without these, your state of being alive is very questionable.

Live free, be spontaneous but don’t be a fool. Make plans.

Believe in yourself even when no one else does. It’s your life not anybody’s.

Love and give without segregation. It not only makes you happier, it makes you healthier.

Spend tangible amount of what’s left after your tithe on yourself. You worked for it, so you deserve it.

Always think thrice before making an important decision. You can’t be too careful.

Make money, invest, make more money, then re-invest. That’s the path to financial success.

Hope for the best but be prepared for the worst. That’s the master tactician’s way of life.

Take risks and Follow your instincts. Most times, that’s the best advice you can get.

Finally, Phillipians 4:8 which says: Finally brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue and if there be any praise, think on these things.

That said, To GOD, the Master Architect of everyone’s life I say “THANK YOU”.

To YOU who I’ve offended, I’m sorry. To YOU who I annoy always, I’ll be more careful. To YOU who look for ways to harm me, harm GOD first. To YOU who I look up to, don’t stop laying good examples. To YOU who believe in me, I’ll never disappoint. To YOU, who pray for me, THANK YOU. To YOU who will stand by me no matter what, I’ll reciprocate. To YOU who respect me, I respect you more. To YOU who calls meeting over me, find productive things to do.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!!

With that I say thank you all, God bless you and your families in ways unimaginable and may you always hit the bull’s eye in whatever decisions you make. Thanks for the time taken to read this short/long and probably blunder bombarded write up. Words can’t express how important you’ve made me feel.
Take care of yourself and each other. 

 
I LOVE YOU.

ELIJAH JAYBEE.
Mature Minds Talk.

You Might Also Like

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Beautiful toyosi. I always knew u had an intrest in writting, im encouragn you to broaden your horizon. Ive seen a couple of your writtings and they all are beautiful, they remind me of how we wrote poems way back in secondary school.
    Thanks for the time dedicated writting this for friends and family and for the heart it came from.
    All the best brother

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday dear! Sorry its coming late! Hope you had fun?

    ReplyDelete